Blog #1

 Hi, my name is Cody Yang.

I first conceptualized this project last year during the fall semester. This year, I'm a bit of an anomaly, a junior who is doing a "Senior Project." Though my project has undergone significant changes from when I first thought of doing it, its main goal has stayed the same. I've always wanted to spend time working in an organization that's dedicated to the political/social issues of today. As a young kid, I would spend hours upon hours reading every article from the day's newspaper, whether that was the Wall Street Journal or the New York Times. This year, I was presented with a unique opportunity to work with an organization dedicated to solving the issues of Asian Americans in Ohio. As I'm sure you've seen on the news, there has been an uptick in anti-Asian sentiment during the coronavirus pandemic. I jumped at the opportunity to find an intersection between my interest in volunteering for social issues and my community's issues. 

For this project, I am working with ASIA and Ms. Elaine Tso. The plan is to allow me to work on issues such as community outreach as well as assisting with more focused issues such as working with vaccine clinics. ASIA is an organization dedicated to helping Asian Americans in the Greater Cleveland Area. I truly hope this project will introduce me to what's it like working on the ground. Hopefully, it will also provide me a pathway to continue working on issues that I'm interested in that affect people's daily lives.

Thank you so much for reading!

Cody

Comments

  1. Ms. Tso seems like such a dynamic mentor, Cody, and your passion and organization around this project are commendable. You're setting yourself up well by exploring your own interests early (yes, as a junior) which I hope will continue to inform your experience next year and beyond. You're going to find that pathway to affect people's daily lives in meaningful ways; I'm excited to see how your learning informs your perspective over the next couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment